Kids love being aligned
1. What is chiropractic?
Chiropractic care involves the science, art and philosophy of restoring and maintaining the health of the joints of the body, most notable those of the spine. It involves adjusting those joints to restore proper motion to joints that either are not moving enough or are not moving properly. In restoring proper motion it removes interference on the nervous system and allows the body to function at a much higher level.
2. Is chiropractic safe for kids?
Yes, chiropractic is safe for children of all ages. In fact, we encourage parents to get their babies checked soon after birth in order to get their nervous system off to the best start possible. A baby’s spine is very supple during the first few months of life, so the doctor of chiropractic applies only a slight pressure to make an adjustment. For older children whose spine is still made of mainly cartilage, slight pressure followed by a gentle push is all that is required to put the vertebra back in place. There is significant evidence that chiropractic adjustments, performed by a competent chiropractor are very safe for even very small babies.
3. How are kids adjusted? Does it hurt?
The doctors at Spinal and Sports Care Clinic are trained to use safe, gentle and effective techniques to adjust children based on their age, stage of development and comfort. For babies, chiropractic adjustments may simply involve light fingertip pressure on the baby’s back or neck. With older, more developed children an instrument called an Activator may be used to gently adjust the spine. While some children may experience mild soreness, most find the experience very soothing and some even sleep through it.
4. What can chiropractic do for your child?
Because the nervous system controls all the functions of the body any interference on it can have wide ranging effects. These effects can include weakening of organs and organ systems and reduced effectiveness of the immune system. In turn this can set the stage for sickness and disorders of all kinds. This is equally true in children and adults.
When a chiropractor frees the nervous system from interference the immune system functions more efficiently and your child’s body can function more optimally. Parents who have their children adjusted regularly often see unexpected positive side effects including, but not limited to: improved digestion, better sleep, better attitudes, fewer ear infections and reduced bedwetting. While chiropractors do not claim to treat these conditions directly removing interference on the nervous system gives the body a better chance to heal itself.
5.When should I take my child to a chiropractor?
Every child and adult can benefit from chiropractic care to keep the body and nervous system operating efficiently. Here are several reasons it is a good idea to get your child adjusted:
- As a newborn: spinal distressed can be caused by the cramped conditions or abnormal positioning of the baby in the uterus during pregnancy. The journey through the birth canal and the process of delivery can also cause serious stress to the very fragile spine of your newborn.
- Developmental milestones: As your child reaches certain milestones, such as: rolling over and learning how to crawl, sit up and walk, increased stress is put on their developing spines. Adjustments during these phases are crucial to keeping your child’s health on track.
- Pain, including headaches: Children (or anyone else for that matter) are not supposed to experience pain. Pain of any kind is an indication that there could be something else going on and therefore is a reason to have your child checked.
- Physical trauma including falls and car accidents: Alexander Pope once said, “As the twig is bent, so is the tree inclined.” Accidents can cause hidden injuries that if left untreated can cause injuries in the spine which can lead to long term chronic issues.
- Health and Wellness: Removing interference to the nervous system helps the body heal itself and deal with stress in a healthy way.
- Because they are kids: As children grow they experience many bumps and falls as they learn to crawl, walk, ride a bike and play sports. All of this can lead to nerve interference which may have no present symptoms but have long lasting effects.
If you have questions about how chiropractic can help a pregnant mom before she gives birth please go to
Pregnancy FAQs page
To Talk to a Doctor or Schedule and Appointment, call
Email us with any Questions
Spinal and Sports Care Clinic
12905 E Sprague Ave.
Spokane Valley, WA 99216-0731